Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question
I got to write a piece on the Blackhawks for the paper this week, I was wondering what the Hawks need to do to improve the team. What players need to go, what big names are on the free agent market, and what players can they draft.
Brian Campbell is a big time D that a lot of people want.
[Image: fohdtk.jpg]

<span style="color:gray"> White Sox Baseball: Passion. Pride. Tradition.

[Image: sowz9y.gif] [Image: kakc20.gif] [Image: 2l9lhmo.gif] [Image: 11l5ul5.gif] [Image: 1499zjt.gif]
What position does he play? I'm not familiar with the positions in hockey
D- Defenseman.
[Image: fohdtk.jpg]

<span style="color:gray"> White Sox Baseball: Passion. Pride. Tradition.

[Image: sowz9y.gif] [Image: kakc20.gif] [Image: 2l9lhmo.gif] [Image: 11l5ul5.gif] [Image: 1499zjt.gif]
ArrayI got to write a piece on the Blackhawks for the paper this week, I was wondering what the Hawks need to do to improve the team. What players need to go, what big names are on the free agent market, and what players can they draft.[/quote]

SoxFan5291 is right. A quarterback for the power play would be the best course of action that they could take. Campbell is probably the best guy that they can focus on. However, I don't know that he will want to leave San Jose. Another choice could be Wade Redden with Ottawa is another guy that could fit that mold. Campbell is a couple of years younger and more desirable as far as I'm concerned. Redden would still be a big improvement on what we have now. He's only 30 so it's not as if he's an old timer. And you can always use a good defenseman even though I think the rookies did well this year.

Andrei Zyuzin should definitely go as far as I'm concerned and I'd be surprised if Yanic Perreault was back. With Rocky feeling so good about the past, it wouldn't be surprised to see Roenick back. I don't know Tallon's feelings on that though. Roenick's had a solid comeback this year and has always loved the Hawks.

They could also use an enforcer type. Georges Laraque seems to be the best and is a free agent. Although I don't know that he would be willing to leave Pittsbugh. Donald Brashear is in Washington and very similar to Laraque. Both of these guys are top of the line tough guys and have been known to score in the past. I would love to see either one of them with the Blackhawks next year.
Thanks, that helps a lot. Could you tell me what positions all of them play, and what players are going to be in the draft, and where the Hawks pick
Hawks pick #11, they lost their 2nd rounder to Ottawa.

They need to get a big time defenseman (Brian Campbell) or 2 solid ones (Mike Green, etc.). They need to maybe get 1 more solid vet, to go along with Lang.

Also, a guy who could fight and protect the young guys wouldn't hurt. Wiz can't do it all himself. Burish is more of a pest, then a guy who a team fears.

ArraySoxFan5291 is right. A quarterback for the power play would be the best course of action that they could take. Campbell is probably the best guy that they can focus on. However, I don't know that he will want to leave San Jose. Another choice could be Wade Redden with Ottawa is another guy that could fit that mold. Campbell is a couple of years younger and more desirable as far as I'm concerned. Redden would still be a big improvement on what we have now. He's only 30 so it's not as if he's an old timer. And you can always use a good defenseman even though I think the rookies did well this year.

Andrei Zyuzin should definitely go as far as I'm concerned and I'd be surprised if Yanic Perreault was back. With Rocky feeling so good about the past, it wouldn't be surprised to see Roenick back. I don't know Tallon's feelings on that though. Roenick's had a solid comeback this year and has always loved the Hawks.

They could also use an enforcer type. Georges Laraque seems to be the best and is a free agent. Although I don't know that he would be willing to leave Pittsbugh. Donald Brashear is in Washington and very similar to Laraque. Both of these guys are top of the line tough guys and have been known to score in the past. I would love to see either one of them with the Blackhawks next year.[/quote]
Good post, totally agree. Although, I'd really like to see Yanic back. He is THE best face off guy in the NHL, so that always helps. Not to mention he'd probably be cheap. BTW, I'd looove to have Brashear. Rather have him than Laraque, but either would be nice.
[Image: fortesig.png]
We could probably get Mike Green and John Michael Liles for 1.5-2 MIL each, not Campbell at something like 4.5 Mil +.

I'm a Sens fan, believe me, you DO NOT want Redden. He isn't that good and his price tag is outrageous.

Brashear's age is catching up to him pretty swiftly, and I think he's losing his edge.
Big Georges Laraque is not an enforcer, he's a goon, no thanks.

I agree that Zyuzin needs to go, he didn't do crap. I'd also like to see a trade of Havlat and Khabibulin. Try to get something respectable for Havlat and Khabby because Havlat is injured way too much, and Khabby is inconsistent and injury prone. Let Crawford and Lalime share time in goal and try to get a decent skater in return for Havlat.

As for Yanic Perrault, no, he should stay. Yanic is one of the best faceoff guys in the NHL and his veteran leadership is key for the young Hawks.

Roenick is washed up, and he has a HUGE ego, no thanks.

Guys I would take a definate look at.

Goalies -- Drew MacIntyre. I don't even know if he has any NHL experience but I've seen him play on the AHL's Manitoba Moose (Vancouver's AHL affiliate) and he seems to be a steady goalie.
Jonas Hiller. When JS Giguere was out for the Ducks, Hiller was freaking amazing in net. He has his off nights, but when he was on, he made some tremendous saves in net.
Pascal LeClaire. Why not? He just came off a season where he led the league in shutouts.

Forwards
Jason Krog, Darren Haydar, Brett Sterling. All play for Atlanta's AHL affiliate the Chicago Wolves. Krog has had some NHL experience, most notibly with the Ducks. I belive Krog is still leading the AHL in points and he's a solid playmaker on offense. Hayder is young and is developing into quite an offense threat, similar to Krog kind of. Sterling is turning into a goal machine in the AHL as he leads the AHL in goals.
Brooks Laich. Laich has had what many consider to be a break out year for Washington this year, he's really stepped his game up at only 24, I'd take the risk. Laich has done a nice job for the Caps and has come up big on Ovechkin's off nights.
Marek Svatos. Svatos could become a great player in the future and he's already considered one of the Top-20 Snipers in the NHL today. This guy could develop into a real goal scorer.
Nigel Dawes, Patrick O'Sullivan, Andrei Kostitsyn. I'm sure NYR, LA, or MTL wouldn't be willing to part with any of these players. They're all 22 years of age. Any would be a boost to an already youthful team.
Corey Stillman. Stillman would provide veteran leadership for the Hawks and is significantly cheaper than a majority, if not all of the other notable vets such as Guerin, Shanahan, Selanne, etc.
Jay Pandolfo This guy is one of the top defensive forwards in the league today, You could probably argue that he is #2 behind Rob Brind'Armor.

And since you guys want an enforcer so bad, I found one, and he's not old. 21 year old Zack Stortini.
I'd rather trade Lalime for a bag of pucks, and keep Habby in net. He'll be a good starter, solid starter until Crawford really gets used to the NHL, then Habby could back Crawford up.

As for Laraque, that may be true. However, Brashear can still whoop some @$$, so if he's cheap, I'd love to have him.

Still, Dom, I'd rather have Campbell over Liles and/or Green. And Campbell will probably be 7-9 million a year, not only 4.5.

I agree on your Havlat point. Time for him to go. Get a 3rd or 4th rounder and/or a solid vet.
[Image: fortesig.png]
I'll stick with any combination of Liles-Green-Weber