Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rusty Wallace hits 228 @ Talladega
ArrayIt really is unfortunate. Safety steps were taken after the deaths of Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty, but it didn't dawn on everyone until after the death of Earnhardt how big of an issue safety was. Had Earnhardt had a HANS device, he would most likely still be with us today.[/quote]

Not only that, but he might've won a couple more championships for good measure.
There's no doubt that Earnhardt was a competitor, but going on 50, I believe Earnhardt was ready to be more of an owner than a racer. I remember seeing in a Dale Jr. interview a few years back that Big E was getting ready to retire because he felt he should move out of the guys that were the future of the sport. Junior mentioned Stewart as a specific one. There's no doubt in my mind that if Earnhardt was still alive, DEI would be a different company. He knew what it took to be a champion.
3. Dale Earnhardt Jr. - Behind: -139 Points - 0 Wins - 5 Top 5 - 9 Top 10 - 0 DNF

Last Race: Coca-Cola 600 - 5th Place.
Next Race: Best Buy 400 at Dover International Speedway
ArrayThere's no doubt that Earnhardt was a competitor, but going on 50, I believe Earnhardt was ready to be more of an owner than a racer. I remember seeing in a Dale Jr. interview a few years back that Big E was getting ready to retire because he felt he should move out of the guys that were the future of the sport. Junior mentioned Stewart as a specific one. There's no doubt in my mind that if Earnhardt was still alive, DEI would be a different company. He knew what it took to be a champion.[/quote]

Absolutely. DEI would have a whole different attitude and makeup, and I believe it would probably be right up there with Hendricks given Earnhardt's racing mind and the fact that he had been around the sport since the mid-1970s.